I got an interesting error while trying to change the log on service account for SQL server. I got a "WMI Provider Error" and a bunch of errors in the Windows Event Log.
The problem is simply, a Named Pipe issue. Restarting re-creates the Named Pipe under the correct log on account.
If the restart fails, and you're still having problems connecting to SQL Server Remotely, try the following:
- Set the log on account permissions on:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
for the log on account. You'll need to set "Full Control" permissions and make sure that you re-apply the rule to all children by clicking on the directory properties>Security>Advanced>Permissions>"Replace permission entries on all child objects..."
Hope that helps.